Monday 4 June 2012

Okagbare runs personal best in 200m

Blessing Okagbare
Reigning Nigeria 100 metres queen, Blessing Okagbare, ran a new 22.63 seconds personal best in the 200m at the Prefontaine Classic Diamond League in Eugene, Oregon, USA last weekend to move to the 13th position in the International Association of Athletics Federations top list for the on-going outdoor season.
She is now fifth on the Nigerian all-time list behind Mary Onyali (22.07), Falilat Ogunkoya (22.22), Fatimah Yusuf (22.28) and Mercy Nku (22.53).
The University of Texas in El Paso graduate has thus improved on her personal best in the event twice in the last two months and looks set to fulfil expectations of making it to the podium at London Olympics.
The Nigerian’s new found form is attributed to her kit sponsors, NIKE’s decision to take charge of her training by sending her to world renowned sprint coach John Smith in California alongside other top sprinters like reigning world 100m champion, Carmeliter Jeter.
Okagbare seems to have taken well to the change in scenery, as the time of 11.01 seconds in the Doha 100 on May 11 was by far her fastest time at this point of the season and just .01 off her two-year-old personal best. She actually opened the outdoor season with an nice 22.70 200m at Mt. San Antonio College meet in Walnut, California in April.
“Training is coming along really, really well,” Okagbare told El Paso Times. “It’s been a lot harder, different, more technical. I’m adjusting to it and competing well.
“It wasn’t easy, but I had to make a commitment, be willing to adapt to new coaching and a new city. I love El Paso, but I had to do this.”
Okagbare reveals her target is to make the podium in London and has also sacrificed almost everything to ensure she gets to realise her dream.
“I don’t go out to party, I haven’t gone out like that at all. This is a big year for me and I don’t want to take any chances doing things like that,” she said, adding that her focus is on the Olympics.”
“I’m looking forward to it, I’m working hard for it,” Okagbare said of the Olympics. “To get in the top three, that’s my goal. If I can do that, it would be a success. Everything is focused toward that.”
Okagbare’s new coach, Smith hints the best is yet to come from her new student.
“I’m just starting to really get to know her,” he said. “I don’t know her training capacity, how much she can take, how much she’s done before.
“I’m being really careful as I get to know her. I plan on coaching her a long time and the key is getting her to perform at a high level so she’ll have confidence in the direction she’s going.
“I’m learning how to talk to her, she’s learning how to talk to me. The thing I’m pleased with so far is getting her to understand a new philosophy,’’ he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment