Monday 21 May 2012

Champions League win my greatest moment — Mikel


Champions League win my greatest moment — Mikel

Mikel Obi has said Saturday’s Champions League win was the greatest moment of his life as he became the third Nigerian to record the feat.
Mikel’s Chelsea beat favourites Bayern Munich in front of their home fans on penalties to win their first-ever Champions League trophy.
The Nigerian star was in the thick of the action from start to finish, unlike in 2008 when he was an unused substitute as Chelsea lost another penalty shootout against fellow English club Manchester United in the Champions League final.
An ecstatic Mikel, who was great in the heart of Chelsea midfield breaking Bayern attack again and again, told MTNFootball.com Saturday’s conquest has brought to an end a much sought-after dream to be champions of Europe.
"This is an incredible feat and feeling,  mere words cannot express how I am feeling," Mikel told MTNFootball.com.
"We had been dreaming of this day since I joined the team (in 2006), this is the best and greatest moment of my career. It will live with me for the rest of my life.”
The Nigerian star, who has now matched the feat achieved by the Ajax Amsterdam pair of Nwankwo Kanu and Finidi George of 1995, admitted he was shocked when Bayern took the lead late in the final, but did not completely lose hope.
"I was devastated for just a few minutes, and said to myself we need to keep playing as something tell me we will score and when it happened,” he said.
The German giants still had another chance to take the lead even after an incredible Didier Drogba headed equaliser when Drogba caused a penalty against his team but Arjen Robben’s effort from the spot was saved by Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.
“I knew we will be champions especially when they lost penalty during the game,” he revealed.
“When it came to the penalty shootout, I remembered 2008 and prayed to God to give us the day and he did. I am fulfilled that I was part of this history. In 2008, I knew I won't play because Maka (Claude Makelele) was around and the best in the world in that position. It is great to be a part of this victory now.”
Meanwhile, Mikel believes Salomon Kalou's haircut played a major role in Chelsea's 4-3 penalty win over Bayern at the Allianz Arena on Saturday.
The Nigeria international who is a close pal of the Ivorien forward told reporters momemts after the game that it did not matter that the match lasted for 120 minutes.
Mikel who was eager to saviour the joy of the moment said: "It was all down to Salomon Kalou's haircut.”
The Eagles star observed while pointing out that Kalou had a bizarre etching on the back of his head which perhaps the hairdresser did as a joke when he wasn't looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment