Sunday 29 July 2012

MARTINS SOLEYE:I can solve Eagles’ striking problem

For Ranti Martins Soleye, his childhood dream, like that of many other young footballers, was to make it big in football, play for big clubs in Europe and the national team. For now, however, he is plying his trade in India. The 26-year-old striker, who has so far recorded over 147 goals for Dembo Sport club in just eight seasons, is currently on holiday in Nigeria. SPORTINGLIFE’S TAOFEEK BABALOLA, caught up with him and Martins opened up on his exploits so far, his desires and challenges. Excerpts…
EARLY CAREER: I didn’t have the opportunity to play in the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) in my football career but I played school football. I went to Anwar-L-Islam College, Agege, where I featured for the school in the Principal Cup and Shell Cup before moving to Ghana to play for Ashanti Kotoko Junior Academy. It was Ashanti Kotoko that loaned me to King Faisal Babes, a Kumasi Football Club in 2004. 
Sojourn in India: I was invited to the India league by a Nigerian playing for Dembo Sports, Majek Bolaji. He was their captain at that time. It was when I came from Ghana in the 2004/2005 season. He came to me and told me about Indian football and the rest is history.
I have been playing for Dempo Sports for the past eight seasons; I won the league five times with the club, reaching the semi final stage of the Asian Football Cup (AFC) twice. I have been the League top scorer four times and AFC second top scorer in the 2009/2010 season. It’s been a competitive game here in India because we have lots of great players in the league; we have players from Brazil, Argentina, Japan, Trinidad and Tobago and lots of others. The league is getting better and better now because the organisers are bringing in more big players.
It’s been s huge success for me because I received massive support from the Dempo management and the team’s supporters too. I had nice seasons while at Dempo Sports and I will never forget what they’ve done for me.
I just left the club for another club in the I-league, Prayang United.  It was a difficult decision for me to leave Dempo Sports but in life you have to move on. Dempo Sports have reduced their budget and I don’t think they can match up with my pay package. My decision to join Prayang United is in line with the team’s ambition; again I want a new challenge. I have not played for the team yet, I just signed ahead of the new season.
 European offers: There were lots of offers from Europe but it is all about money for now. The offers coming from Europe are unattractive in terms of packages. I got offers in Hungary, Norway. But it’s all about money for now because I have a family to cater for
I have an ambition to move to Europe and I have hopes that the opportunity will come at the right time. I love the Spanish league and I love Barcelona because of the way they play. I just have the hope that this season I can get a chance to play in Europe.
Nigeria legion in India: We have lots of Nigerians playing in India. In every club we have at least a Nigeria playing in that team. We have Onyeka Odafe, Kalu Ogba, Chidi Edet, Rasaq and host of others. They are doing well in the I-league.
Comparing Indian league, Nigerian Premier League: Unlike the Nigerian League, there are good pitches to play on, foreign coaches that can help you in your career. They have good organisation too and massive sponsorship, (Zee Sports) I-league media partners signed a seven-year contract worth $700 million with a viewer-ship of about 1 billion people, renewable after 7 years. I only know that the Nigerian League is physical. We travel by air for every game; we don’t travel by road. 
Scoring the first ever goal in I-league: It was just about the drive for success because I always believe that if you work hard you will reach a climax. I have the ambition to succeed in life and I believe through hard work everything is achievable. It’s a good thing for me that I scored the first I-league goal; it is really driving me on till today.
Norway Offers: Well, the agent handling the deal was the reason behind the unsuccessful contract in Norway. The agent was the one handling Odion Ighalo’s contracts. I think he was busy handling Ighalo’s offers then, when they were looking for him in Norway to come and complete my deal but he did not show up, that is why I stayed back in China.
Challenges: There are lots of challenges in India because the culture is different but the weather is favourable. Again, they put all their hopes on foreign players; if it is good it is foreign players, if it is bad it is foreign players too. So the people coming here need to work hard.
National team invitation: I had the chance to play for the national U-20 team. I was invited to be part of the U-20 team coached by Samson Siasia. I missed the opportunity because I was playing in the Asian Cup then, and the Dempo president didn’t inform me about the invitation on time. I came over but it was too late for me to make the team. I have the ambition to play for my country and I hope the chance will come.
Super Eagles call up: There was a time a representative of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) came to India to talk to me. The guy came, and fortunately we had a match that day. He was at the stadium and I scored in that game. We talked and we’ve been keeping contact. And he gave me the hope I will get the chance to play for the Super Eagles.
I think I can fit into the Super Eagles. It is all about chance and opportunity. Nigerians have good strikers in Osaze Odemwingie, Ike Uche and others. I have my talent and they have theirs. If I have the chance I can prove my point. I think it’s all about having chance to play. It is opportunity and when it comes I will grab it. I relate with Taye Taiwo.
Strong point: I think I have a lot; I am a kind of striker who loves moving around on the pitch, I don’t stay in one position to score goals. I also score with both legs which I believe is an added advantage for me as a striker.
Best Eagles player: I think Ike Uche is doing fantastic. 
Chance to play for Ghana: I should have played for the Ghana U-17 team in 2003/04. They were preparing for the African Youth Championship (AYC) then. I was using a Ghanaian passport at that time because that was the passport given to me by my agent then.  I was approached but for the love I have for my country I dropped the idea. Nigeria is a good country and I am proud of my country.
On Eagles reform: Coach Stephen Keshi is doing a great job and I believe he is the right man that can lead the national team to the Promised Land. The integration of the home based players into the Super Eagles confirmed Keshi's resolve to build a team everyone will be proud of.
I don't see Liberia as a clog in the wheel of the Super Eagles' qualification to the African Cup of Nations. I don't see Liberia as a threat. We have a good team and I believe Eagles will qualify. All we need to do as citizens is to support the team and pray for their success.

No comments:

Post a Comment