Friday 20 April 2012

From stage to traditional medicine

Jimoh Aliu
Veteran actor, Jimoh  Aliu, rediscovers herbal medicine, the profession his father bequeathed to him, writes GBENGA ADENIJI
Those familiar with some of the epic Yoruba movies will readily remember Chief Jimoh Aliu whose stagecraft always impresses many. The respected theatre practitioner,  who is no longer a familiar face in Nigerian films,  discloses that he has been in Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State – his state – practising as a traditional healer.
He adds that herbal medicine,  which involves assisting those seeking for fruits of the womb and those under the yoke of witchcraft and family curses, were his father’s core trade.
Aliu says, ‘‘But it was the work that brought me to Lagos in 1946. I just charted a new path for myself and abandoned it. I am back into it now since I was instructed to go back and practise it. I am into it to elevate culture.’’
He further says, ‘’My father lived for 135 years and traditional medicine is what he did all his life in Oke-Imesi, Ekiti State. The day he died, he wore one of the clothes I bought for him and slept on the bed.  The traditional medicine I do involves attending to those wishing to bear children and battling with witchcraft and family problems. I have Imams and Prophets who I also consult to ensure that anybody who comes to me has his or her problems solved. My clients come from many parts of Nigeria and overseas. I practise in Ado-Ekiti.’’
The actor also states that he still acts on a part-time basis,  especially when a producer is genuinely willing to get him to feature in his film.
 ‘‘I still act occasionally.  I go to locations anytime a producer wants me to appear in a film and he is able to track me,’’ he notes.
Aliu, who is a retired soldier, further says he is planning to reproduce many of his past films because his fans have been demanding that he should do that.
He also laments that dramatists now seek for money whereas they were eager to build a name during their time.
‘‘Today’s artistes are looking for money but during our time we were trying to build a name. Those who watched our plays then had today become influential members of the society. They are the one honouring us today. It is funny that within two days, films are produced nowadays, he adds.
The actor who appeals to stakeholders in the industry to unite and fight piracy, states that if they are united to tackle it, government will assist them with the rest.
The prolific Aliu has produced films such as Yanpoyanrin, Omiran, Etekete, Fopomoyo, Kumo, Olewu, Igbo Olodumare, Ma Boroje, Afopina, Laalu, Arelu, Igba Oro, Odu Ifa and Orunmila.

No comments:

Post a Comment