Sunday 4 March 2012

Joel Obi: I'll be Bigger than 'Jay Jay'

IN THIS exclusive interview with MTNFootball.com, Inter Milan midfielder  Joel Chukwuma Obi has revealed that he hopes to be a bigger star than Nigeria 2002 World Cup skipper Austin 'Jay Jay' Okocha as he hopes to help the Eagles win the 2013 AFCON and reach the final of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. He assures that there is no cause for alarm after the 0-0 draw in Rwanda in a 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier and also speaks on the big role Jose Mourinho has played in his blossoming career.

Many fans back home in Nigeria see Joel Obi as new Jay Jay Okocha, what can you say?I thank them for that compliment. It means they love and appreciate my qualities as a footballer.
I am a young man who is ready to put in anything I have for Nigeria and my club, I will do my best for Eagles, but mind you I am not Okocha and I can't be Okocha. There can never be another 'Jay Jay' Okocha, he made his mark in Eagles while he was there.
I am Joel Obi and I am aspiring to do more than Okocha in the national team. He has done a lot for Nigerian football and I wish to surpass him. I will do my best so as not to disappoint Nigeria, myself, the fans and the coach.
Are you related to Mikel Obi?
Yes and No. We are related as far as football is concerned because we are one big family in the Super Eagles, but if it is blood relation, no. I am from Imo State while Mikel is from Anambra.
What are your ambitions as a player?
I want to make it big. I want to be one of the best in the world and win a lot of trophies at club level. I want to play and win the African Cup of Nations starting with the one in 2013 and I wish to play at World Cup in Brazil in 2014 and set a record.
What record?
To be among the first set of Nigeria players to reach final of the FIFA World Cup or at worst reach semi-final in Brazil.
Do you think Eagles have all it takes to reach that height?
Yes, Nigeria is a blessed country and there are a lot of players home and abroad. I am optimistic we will get there.
But the Eagles started the 2013 Nations Cup qualifiers on a laboured note with a draw in Rwanda?
 We went there to win but it was not to be. I don't want to give excuses for not winning the match, but I am sure we will put it right in the return leg.
You are playing for one of the best teams in the world, Inter Milan, how do you feel?
The feeling has been great and wonderful since I joined Inter reserves. I was very happy when coach Jose Mourinho promoted me to the senior team to train with players like Zanetti and Eto'o.
It was wonderful and they motivated me a lot to raise my game. I owe my progress here to Mourinho because he gave me the breakthrough I needed to launch myself.
You have played a limited number of games this season so far, are you disappointed?
No. Inter are a big team with a lot of young as well as experienced old players, and so being on the list of registered players and making it to the bench is an achievement but I want to press further.
I am learning here and to get a chance to play in the team is a great achievement for me.
I am happy that anytime I play, my coach and teammates praise me for a good outing, which is enough motivation for me to get better. I will continue to do my best to see that I tie down a regular shirt with Inter.
Finally, what message do you have for your fans?
They should keep praying for me and I will keep making them happy and proud of me. They should also keep faith with Eagles, this is a new team being built and I am sure we will get it right under coach Stephen Keshi.

No comments:

Post a Comment